Wintertime in the northern Midwest can be magical—poplar trees stand starkly against the snow, the smells of holiday sweets waft through the air and fireplaces form cozy refuges for you and your loved ones. Readying your fireplace in Wausau, WI for the cooler months, however, requires some advanced thought and careful preparation. Don’t end up stuck out in the cold—begin to prepare for winter today!
There are a number of tasks that you will have to perform to properly winterize your fireplace. You can ensure that it is ready for the season by following these simple steps:
- Remain focused: In the throes of the autumn season, it can be difficult to stay on track. With a slew of festivities just around the corner, you may be readying your Thanksgiving feast or preparing the perfect Halloween decorations. It’s important to remain focused on getting your fireplace ready before the snow begins to fall!
- Safety first: Before you do anything to your fireplace in Wausau, WI, you should plan on performing a safety check. Examine your stove for any residue buildups or rust that may have formed over the summer, and treat it accordingly. Heat accelerates the rusting process, and if a spot of rust is left unattended it may breach your stove.
- Get the right wood: Well-seasoned, dense hardwoods are the best types of materials to burn in your fireplace for the winter season. Oak and poplar are ideal fuel options for many Midwestern homes. Never burn green wood, which will build up more creosote in your fireplace and chimney and elevate your risk of a house fire.
- Install a spark guard: If your stove doesn’t include a closing door, you should always operate your fireplace with a spark guard covering its opening. These devices prevent stray embers and hot ashes from entering your home and putting your furniture or flooring at risk of catching fire.
- Check your chimney cap: Your chimney cap should feature wire mesh sides and entirely cover the entrance to your smokestack. Any damage that your chimney cap may have suffered over the past year should be immediately addressed. A professional service provider for your fireplace in Wausau, WI may be best suited to complete this task.
- Hire a chimney sweep: The most important thing you can do to protect your home and enjoy toasty fires throughout the winter season is to hire a professional chimney cleaning service for your fireplace in Wausau, WI. These knowledgeable professionals can clean any dangerous creosote buildups and provide a range of additional services.
For more than 60 years, Marcell’s Specialties Inc. has been providing high-quality care solutions for your fireplace in Wausau, WI. We are the region’s premier fireplace specialists. We offer building services, repairs and renovations for several different types of stoves. Whether your home’s fireplace is in need of a facelift before the first storm of the season hits or you’re hoping to install a fireplace for the first time, reach out to one of our friendly associates today to learn more about our extensive service offerings.
Categorised in: Fireplaces
This post was written by admin