There are few things quite as cozy as cuddling up in front of a roaring fire, but it’s important to take some steps to make sure all your holiday fires are safe. The good news is that all it takes is a few simple fireplace safety tips in Wausau, WI to keep fireplaces in great condition and make sure they will continue working safely for many years to come. Keep reading for some helpful holiday fire prevention tips to keep you and your family safe this winter.
Fireplace safety is a very important priority for homeowners, but a lot of people are unsure about how to ensure their fireplaces are kept as safe as possible during the winter months. Thankfully, there are some simple fireplace safety tips that can make a big difference in the safety of fireplaces and keep homes protected against a tragic and destructive fire. Here are some of the best holiday fire prevention tips in Wausau, WI:
- Clean the chimney: One of the most important fireplace safety tips is to have the chimney cleaned and maintained on a regular basis. Cleaning the chimney removes accumulated ash and debris that can increase the risk of fires during the winter months. Having your chimney cleaned on a regular basis is one of the best ways to minimize the risk of fires in the home.
- Check smoke detectors: Another important thing to do to keep your home protected from fires is to check smoke detectors. Test smoke detectors and replace batteries as needed to make sure these devices are ready to do their job. If your smoke detectors are old, it might be time to upgrade to newer models to make sure they’re working properly.
- Use seasoned wood: Seasoned wood is wood that’s been dried out to remove as much moisture as possible. Using unseasoned wood can contribute to a more rapid buildup of soot and creosote, which can lead to complications for fireplaces.
- Keep the area around fireplaces clear: Starting a fire in a fireplace that’s surrounded by clutter and debris significantly increases the risk of fire. Make sure that the area around the fireplace is cleared of any debris, especially objects that are flammable. This will reduce the risk of fire and prevent any wayward flames from fireplaces.
- Keep a fire extinguisher close by: You never know when a fire might start, so another fireplace safety tip in Wausau, WI is to keep a fire extinguisher on hand to address fires if they come up. Make sure your fire extinguisher has not expired, and that you know how to use it properly.
Fireplace and chimney cleaning and maintenance
Ensure your home is protected from fires this winter with comprehensive chimney and fireplace cleaning and maintenance from the team at Marcell’s Specialties Inc. We provide professional chimney and fireplace services to ensure these features operate safely, effectively and efficiently throughout the winter months. Find out more about what we have to offer by giving us a call today and getting started with a consultation and quote.
Categorised in: Fireplace Safety
This post was written by Writer